Starting in January 2022, Heart of the Community is a 3-year, community-led, place-based project delivered in 6 communities in Rotherham.
Meadowbank, Masbrough, Canklow, Wharncliffe, Dalton, Thrybergh.
We want to change the way people think about their community encouraging residents to work on their own and together to make their neighbourhoods somewhere to be proud of. Heart of the Community develops the skills and capacity of local people to support vulnerable neighbours and build community pride. With our support, our target communities will deliver:
- activities to improve neighbourliness, including small acts of help
- formal brokerage schemes linking helpers with those in need,
- community-led campaigns/ improvements that change communities for the better
- social events and activities which bring people together.
The project challenges local attitudes that communities can’t make change and should ‘leave things to the authorities. We believe that if local people want things in their community to improve, they need to get involved. It recognises that people are more likely to get involved if they identify positively with their neighbourhood.
The project specifically seeks to:
- increase the little acts of kindness that turn neighbourhoods into communities
- enable people to help each other recover from the pandemic
- restart local life after the pandemic
- help communities to become more connected, confident, and resilient
- enable local people to drive local change.
For more information or to get involved please contact:
Sam Dixon – email firstname.lastname@example.org phone 07495 352311
Dan Barron – email email@example.com phone 07507 277945